Sunday, February 20, 2011

We have arrived!

After 25 hours of travel, we are in Guiyang, Guizhou, population 6 million!  We had a spectacular flight from Seattle to Beijing ~ sunny and clear the whole way.  I had thought we would be over the ocean most of the time, but instead we flew up the coast of British Columbia, over Ketchican, Juneau, and Anchorage, and were treated to an incredible view of Denali!  Then we flew over the desolate and snowy coast of Eastern Russian, and finally down into Beijing.  The air polution here is pretty severe, so we couldn't actually see much of China.  The air smells faintly smokey, even indoors. It was a fairly smooth trip, as the people on the airlines and in the airports speak English.  We were met at our final destination by our lovely guide, Wendy, and she got us to our hotel at about midnite local time. It is now Monday morning (we are 16 hours ahead of Coeur D'Alene) and we are to meet our precious daughter in one hour!!  Wendy is meeting us in our hotel lobby in 15 minutes and then we walk about 5 minutes to the Civil Affairs Office with lots of documents and a few gifts for the orphange workers. (Plus a backpack full of fun stuff to encourage Yu Ping to like us!!)  We are VERY EXCITED!  More later . . . .

4 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see your blog post! I didn't realize you'd be in Guiyang so quickly. We had to spend a day touring Beijing before we went to Guiyang. I'm sure as I write this you already have Yu Ping and I can't wait to read about her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH, I am SO excited for you! I hope you are having some lovely first moments with Yu Ping right now!!! I have been thinking about you guys all weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad the flight went well. Must have been neat to see Alaska, even if you couldn't really see China, though I'm not at all surprised. Enjoy!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Walters, this is grant. I particularly enjoyed your sentence, (Plus a backpack full of fun stuff to encourage Yu Ping to like us!!)."

    ReplyDelete