Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day 3 ~ Making progress!



We had another peaceful night, with Wu Yi collapsing in exhaustion as soon as we told her it was time for bed, and then she slept for 11 hours!  (Don and I have our morning "quiet time" sitting on the bathroom floor reading).  She has steadily refused to change her clothes ~ we are lucky to coax her snowboots off at bedtime.  We asked Wendy about pajamas in China and were told that the "base layer" she wears under her clothes are her PJ's and that kids in China only change their clothes every 3 days or when they get dirty.  So, I guess it is normal, and I understand that she needs to have control of something.  (So much for all those new clothes I packed for her ~ she is not interested in them at all!)
She woke up this morning having had a bloody nose during the night (no surprise with all the crying she has been doing!)  She got blood all over her sweater, so I figured that this was my opportunity!  When Wendy came, she told Wu Yi that her sweater needed to be sent to the laundry and it was time to change her shirt.  We took her to the suitcase and offered her some choices of sweatshirts (something that could fit over the PJ's ~ baby steps, you know) and she selected the purple hoodie that Grandma Janice bought her!  Maybe tomorrow we can change her pants! :)  She also has been brushing her teeth in the orphanage (I didn't expect that!) but Wendy isn't here in the morning or at night, and she doesn't want to brush with Don and I coaxing her.  Hopefully we can try giving her a bath and brushing her teeth with Wendy's help sometime before we leave Guizhou in 2 days.
Wu Yi did well with Don and I this morning ~ going to the hotel buffet for breakfast, where she loves the watermelon.  She didn't cry, held our hand, and pointed to the food she wanted ~ she just tries to avoid much eye contact with us and is very quiet.  Wendy came over after breakfast and we got the QQ (Chinese Skype) going!  Wu Yi had a great time seeing and talking to her friends.  (Check out the happy photos where she is wearing the headset).  We enjoyed seeing inside the orphanage this way, and it was great to see lots of excited people there lining up to talk to Wu Yi!  We got to "meet" Wu Yi's friend Eva, who was quite a character, lifting up her shirt to show off her belly button and laughing hysterically!
After that, Wu Yi asked to go back to the "monkey park" and we spent several hours there, feeding the monkeys, feeding the giant goldfish (she LOVES fish ~ she wanted to pet one or catch one!), and going on some rides.  Yesterday she was a little nervous on the rides.  Today she was a little braver.  She requested lunch at the "hotdog on a stick" stand and rolled her meat in some spices that were offered.  Don decided to try one the same way.  Soon after, Don was complaining of how the spices had totally burned his mouth!  Wu Yi didn't mind at all!  Then she asked to go in the mini motor boats ~ we climbed in and Wu Yi quickly asked to change places with me so she could drive!  She had a great time pretending that she was going to crash the boat into the banks of the pond and watching Don and I look scared and then turning the boat at the last minute.  I loved seeing her being a tiny bit playful with us ~ Wendy watched and took pictures from the shore.  During the ride, she also started to spit something out of her mouth, and it turned out to be a baby tooth!  I held it for her and she seemed very proud to show me the empty space in her mouth.  I have been carrying that tooth all day and she seems pleased about that too! (I guess I'm officially a mom again!!)
We, again, had lots of people staring at us (especially at Don and his beard).  Don took the initiative to grin and make a big wave and say "hello" to the kids who stared ~ they all LOVED it and laughed and tried to say "hello ~ how are you" in thier broken English!  Some of them followed us for awhile and kept yelling "hello".  Such cute kids here!  I took some pictures of a group of teenage boys and they thought that was something special too.
When we came back to the hotel and it was time for Wendy to go, I could tell that Wu Yi was going to start to cry again.  We let her make a call to her "grandma" and as soon as she heard her voice, she began sobbing (first time all day!)  However, despite the crying, she refused to talk to her "grandma".  It seems she is maybe a little mad at her now.  There was no begging to go home.  When Wendy left, Wu Yi cried for a minute or two and then seemed content to watch TV.
When its just the 3 of us in the hotel, Wu Yi usually focuses on the TV (from the floor between the beds) and ignores Don and I.  For the past 2 days, I have stayed out of her way and given her some space.  When Don decided to go for a walk outside of the hotel, I decided to try and play with her.  I sat next to her and blew bubbles, played with Barbies, put together a puzzle, colored, did stickers, bounced a ball and jumped rope.  By myself.  :)  During that time, she focused pretty hard on the TV ("Kim Possible"), but every once in a while I caught her looking at me and MAYBE thinking about joining in.  She didn't, but I'm gonna try again tomorrow.  :) 
It was a pretty good day!!  Thanks to everyone for the supportive emails!  We miss you!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great. I'm glad she's losing some of her fear, and I'm sure the rest will just take time. The bloody nose thing is pretty normal for Chinese kids, by the way; Aidan just had one on Monday. They have a different cranio-facial structure from caucasians, which is why they have bloody noses and we have headaches!

    Keep up the good work, Mom and Dad.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear everything is looking up! We think of you often and race to the computer in the morning to get the newest post. :)

    Happy Birthday Kellen, hard to believe you were the size of a loaf of bread looking at you now! :) I am a bit nervous though, from the picture it looks like you are driving and I know in a few years you will be on the road so Please. . .don't drive that crazy on the road! :)

    We love you,
    Auntie Kim & Cousins

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least someone is having a good time with the toys! I'd come and jump rope with you but it is too far. Hopefully someone will play with you tomorrow. Glad things are going better.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete