Monday, June 20, 2011

Whats in a name?

In many ways, Wu Yi is thrilled at being a part of her new American family.  In others, she is firmly loyal to her Chinese heritage.  When Don and I initially referred to ourselves as "Mama" and "Baba", she refused to call us anything.  When we referred to the boys as "her brothers", she angrily shook her head no.  Eventually, she addressed the boys by their first names, and, more recently, she directly addresses Don and I as "Daddy" and "Mommy".  It is a nice change to be called by a name and not just grunted at or called by the nickname "come here".  I don't know exactly where she heard the words "Mommy" and "Daddy".  Our boys don't call us that.  Regardless, we both love to hear those precious titles.
Upon her arrival in the US, Wu Yi already knew how to write her name in both English letters and in Chinese characters.  When she started school, she noticed that her name was being written along with our last name.  She was curious about this "3rd name" and asked what it meant.  I told her that everyone in our family of 6 shared the same last name, and that was how we knew we fit together.  I went down the list of our names (leaving the potentially confusing middle names out) and she was delighted to be a part of our common connection.  She was especially proud to announce that she was the only one who had 3 names!  I hated to burst her bubble by explaining our middle names and let her bask in her personal name glory.
Tonight, during her bath, we were once again talking about her best friend Yu Cheong, who is still in China.  Yu Cheong will be joining her new American family in just a few months and I have been in contact with her adoptive mom on-line. (Long story how we got together, but I am so glad we did!)  I was explaining to Wu Yi that her best friend was getting the new name "Eva".  When Wu Yi heard the name, she gave me a disgusted look and asked "why?".  I told her that sometimes kids get a new American name when they get adopted and that Yu Cheong would be keeping her Chinese name for her middle name and then getting a new family name as well.  Wu Yi pondered this concept for several minutes, got suddenly wide-eyed, and then exclaimed "SHE WILL HAVE 4 NAMES?!!!"  Well, not to be outdone, Wu Yi announced that she wanted a new American name too, so that she would have just as many names as her friend.
Well, I was pretty taken by surprise at this sudden announcement.  Before we went to China, Don and I had discussed American names.  We had a list of about 10 names that we thought Wu Yi might like to choose from.  As it turned out, she had no interest in a new name, and "Wu Yi W." was officially put on her birth certificate.  We knew that she might decide to have an American names in the future, and figured we could change it to whatever she wanted at that time.  As she expectantly sat in the bath and waited for me to assign her a "4th name", I tried to remember what was on that list.  (Funny that I put so much thought into that list just a few short months ago, and tonight I struggled to remember a single name on it!)  I mentioned the names "Sophie", "Megan", "Maura", "Maylee" (not American but it means "beautiful" in Chinese and Don and I both loved it), "Claire", "Quinn" and "Olivia".  She looked disgusted at each of them, with the exception of Olivia.  She started laughing at that one and told me to say it again.  When I did, she laughed again and said "that one is funny".  When I tried to think of the other 3 names on the list, she shook her head and said "Olivia".  I said to her "you want to be called by a name that you think is funny?".  She eagerly nodded and said "Yes. Olivia Wu Yi W."  Then, she decided she wanted to add "Min Yu Ping" (her legal Chinese name) to the list and have 7 names total.  I am hesistant to start calling her Olivia (I actually hate the thought of letting go of Wu Yi right now), but I guess it won't hurt to try it for awhile.  What if we get into the habit of a new name, and she decides to change it again?  (Wouldn't be so unlikely for a strong willed 8 year old!)  I guess we'll give it a try and keep you posted! 

1 comment:

  1. She is quite a character! The whole story cracks me up. Better not tell her that Eva's second and third Chinese names will be put together as one middle name :-)

    Olivia is one of my favorite names, by the way.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete