Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Three steps forward. One Step back.

I spend most of my time admiring my daughter with absolute astonishment at her progress, determination, and spirit.  She is affectionate, funny, smart, helpful, and competitive and, although this process has not been easy, I am actually surprised that it hasn't been nearly as hard as I expected.
On rare occasion, she can be stubborn and difficult.  She can stomp her little foot and say "no", although she is usually agreeable to compromise and quickly turns a negative attitiude right back around.  When we had the "name discussion" two nights ago, I was a bit fearful of the potential consequences of changing a name so quickly, and last night my concerns became reality.
I was out with her in our neighborhood ~ she on her bike and me following on foot close behind (well, not so close ~ she is becoming a speedy daredevil on that little pink Barbie machine) and, as usual, we ended up at one of her favorite teachers' house.  When this teacher came out to visit with us, I told her about Wu Yi wanting to be called by her new American name, and the teacher told Wu Yi that she had certainly picked a very beautiful one.  Wu Yi got angry and said she didn't want to be called by that name.  She continued on in a fairly angry rant about how people in America are different than people in China.  We are hairy like monkeys, women with long fingernails are like wicked witches, our food is horrible, and we burp and fart way too much.  She announced to me that when she grows up, she will return to China, and that it would be better if I went and found a daughter with yellow hair and blue eyes who will want to stay in America with me!
Wow!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my - it sounds like she's taken you all on an emotional roller coaster the last couple of days. Maybe she's afraid of being hurt so she pulls away when she thinks she's getting too close. Or maybe she feels like she's betraying China if she becomes too "American". I'm sure she has so many conflicting emotions right now. Reading your last blog post I was really impressed with how well she seems to be communicating with you considering that she hasn't been hearing English that long. She must be very smart! It sounds like you are handling all her issues very well and being so sweet and patient with her. She's a blessed girl to have such a wonderful family! (and I know you feel so blessed to have her). Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! is right. Are you sure she's not a teenager in disguise? Sounds pretty normal, though.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete