Friday, May 13, 2011

Finding her Voice

Its been two weeks since Wu Yi came home from the hospital and she has been doing amazingly well.  She continues to eat like crazy, has gained back her weight, and got the "all clear" from her Dr to eat whatever she wants.  The only thing she struggles with is figuring out how to suck through a straw, which is completely backwards from what you would expect with a cleft palate repair!  We met with a speech therapist, and will take her in for her initial evaluation later this month.

She has returned to school and is going everyday with my friend Cheryl for two hours.  She spends the last 45 minutes of this time in a regular 2nd grade classroom.  It has been amazing to watch her gain confidence at school.  For a long time, she would ignore the kids and teachers, and only look at the floor while she was in the building.  Now, she is starting to cautiously look at the kids and the classroom and she is giving an occasional smile to familiar adults.  She has been studying Evan's yearbook carefully and I think this gives her a better feel for the school hierarchy.  She has some understanding of telling time and watching the clock for when she will be picked up, and that gives her more confidence too.  We also decided to hold her back and keep her in this same 2nd grade class in the fall, as well as have a tutor work with her at home this summer.

She started speaking some English in the past two weeks ~ mostly repeating short words and phrases from her favorite Barbie cartoons.  She has been most confident doing this in front of my mom, who babysits Wu Yi while I am at work.  (I went back 1/2 time two weeks ago, and go back full time next week).  Yesterday and today, however, she began speaking conversational English!!  And its not just random words, its complete sentences!  Today she said to me in the car "Grandma's house is that way", "Lets have lunch with Grandma at the park with the big slide", and "Mrs Jensen's little boy got hit and broke his teeth" (that from a story she heard about a teachers son having a baseball accident).  Other new phrases today include "follow me", "catch me",  "push me" (on the swing), "Sami, get your leash", and "let's skip".  What an absolutely delightful girl who continues to laugh and laugh when we play at the park.

She has also been more open and trusting in sharing her photos and treasured China backpack.  She "tells" me (through gestures and miming) about her friends, nannies, and teachers in China.  She considered her closest friends at the orphanage to be her brothers and sisters, and called many nannies "mama".  Because she was in a special needs orphanage, she described to me the various ailments of her friends.  It is heartbreaking to me that she seems to feel defined by her cleft issues.  She asks me regularly when will the Dr fix her nose (she can't have reconstructive surgery until her teens).  People made fun of her nose, and despite having just gone through a very difficult surgery, she is eager to do it again.  It makes me so angry that an 8 year old has been made to feel this way.  She has not given me any clue as to why she avoids having a relationship with Don, but she did point out a picture of a female teacher she had who hit her hands with a ruler and twisted her ear in school.

Along with all of these milestones, she has also become very physically affectionate with me.  She usually likes to act as though she hates to get a hug, but more and more she finds a way to throw herself in my arms, hold my hand, ask for a piggyback ride, or even not pull away when I give her a raspberry kiss on her neck.  I am so proud of all she has overcome.  Summer vacation starts in 4 weeks and Don will be home with her while I am at work.  Lets hope the two of them will find a way into each others hearts.  :)

2 comments:

  1. Jolene,

    This is so great. I waited to post until google fixed whatever the mess was this week, so I hope I haven't missed anything more exciting-what could be more exciting than that?

    Our Chinese teacher told me that children in China are not allowed to call people older than them by name. He was translating our booklet for Eva and I had put my big kids names with their pictures and he said that would not be acceptable in their culture. They were big brother, first sister, and second sister, but she could call Aidan by name because he is eight weeks younger than her. Same thing with us. She could call us mother and father/mama and baba, but we would not be Mama Hill, for example. So Wu Yi probably doesn't know the nannies actual names.

    It's terrible that her disability has defined and limited her in the past, but hopefully with you that will all change. Hope, too, that she and Don can become "friends" this summer.

    Take care,
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jolene,
    I tried to leave a message a few days ago but it didn't work so I'll try again! It's so exciting to read about how well Wu Yi is doing. I'm sure you must be thrilled with the progress she's making. Like Ruby, I'm also sad that she has felt bad about her appearance. She is such a cutie and I hope that as she becomes more confident that will be less concerning for her.

    I think it's great that she is able to share about life in the orphanage with you. If she ever tells you any information that Libby would be interested in I'd love to hear. I'm sure as these girls grow up they'll appreciate any bits of information about their lives in China.

    I'm also hoping that Wu Yi and Don can begin bonding more. I'm sure it's hard for him to be on the outside and I bet he just wants to give her a great big hug! Thanks for sharing how things are going!

    ReplyDelete