Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 11 ~ Zoo and a bath

I tossed and turned all night dreading that today needed to be a bath day.  I had put it off for an entire week and it was time.  Wu Yi has only had one bath since she left the orphanage, and that was last week with our guide Wendy (you may recall that I was not allowed in the bathroom).  So this morning, as soon as we got up, I announced the bad news.  She shook her head no and backed away.  I talked to her as cheerfully and soothingly as I could, using both Chinese and English phrases but all she did was shake her head and grab the towel rack with both hands.   I had no choice but to peel her fingers away, undress her, and put her in the tub.  She screamed and cried for her "grandma" ~ the poor girl is just mortified about being undressed.  She wouldn't sit down in the water, but fortunately the bath had a hand held shower, so I just washed her that way.  Too bad it ended up being quick ~ I had hoped that once she sat down she might relax and enjoy it (she seemed to with Wendy).  After we toweled off and got dressed, she furiously glared at me from the bathroom and wouldn't come out for about 10 minutes.  At least she didn't kick or hit me.  (She hasn't ever done anything like that before, but she was pretty mad and I wasn't sure if she would try it).  By breakfast she seemed to have forgiven me. It will be better next time ~ right???
We took the subway to the zoo today.  It was our first time on a Chinese subway, and Don, once again, for the 3rd time, got in trouble for taking pictures.  I'm sure China will celebrate when Don leaves the country! :) The Chen's little boy Jesse has an ear infection, so it was Don and I with the two "new" families.  We were happy to have three 6 year old girls in the group (only one speaking Chinese) for Wu Yi to play with.  The zoo was really nice with lots of cool animals and beautiful flowers and trees.  Wu Yi seemed to be in a better mood and enjoyed feeding some ducks, but she chose to mostly ignore the other girls.  She seems bound and determined to not have any fun, and my guess is that she may associate enjoying herself with "giving up" on her hopes to go back to the orphanage.  I'm no psych major, but that is my theory.
After Jesse got some antibiotics, he was feeling better (he's the cutest 1 year old baby ever!) so we went out for Muslim food with the Chen's.  We watched the cooks making fresh pasta ~ it puts tossing pizza to shame!  Then we spent the evening exploring some streets a few blocks away from the hotel and found some trendy bars and hotspots as well as more street markets with an amazing array of fresh fruit.  We have been cautioned to only eat fruit with a rind on it, so unfortunately we aren't eating much fruit.
Have a safe trip home Shelly, Brad, and Ella Grace!  We will miss you!

3 comments:

  1. You will be lucky to get out of the country with Don at this rate :-) Glad you got a bath in. It really could be that she doesn't bathe the same as we do. Aidan never bathed in a tub, just used a cloth and a bowl of water in his foster home, and at the orphanage I think they ran under a shower of some type, or quickly used a spray handle and then moved on. I ate every fruit I saw, and loved it! I know, I know, all these warnings circulated in the group about that, but it was delicious and my daughter and I enjoyed them all, and neither of us got sick, and I'm a person who gets sick thinking about just about anything-travel makes me sick, altitudes make me sick, smells make me sick, escalators give me such vertigo that I can be sick from them, going without a meal makes me sick, you get the idea, but the fruit in China didn't!

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel too bad. Teddy moans and complains about his weekly or biweekly bath and has for the past 3 years. Both of the other kids begged to have a bath. Think of the water you will save if you give her a water pistol and a rag to bathe with. Might be difficult washing her hair with a water pistol though. See you soon!
    The noodle lady looked so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking up that Don got in trouble YET again with that camera! Too funny! Even on the subway? Craziness!

    ReplyDelete