Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Adjusting to home

We have been home for 3 days now and I am happy to be sleeping in my own bed.  Unfortunately, I am waking up many times at night trying to figure out where I am.  I can't recall the last time I was away from home for so long, plus China was overwhelming, we are still adjusting to being a "family of 6", and its weird to not be going to work. (Yes, I miss you guys!)
I haven't posted to the blog for several days, mostly because I have no photos to share.  Wu Yi really doesn't like me taking them, and I just don't want to line up three smiling boys and an unhappy girl.  Maybe next week?
Although it is difficult to see Wu Yi so unhappy, she is making some progress.  She seems to be becoming more and more comfortable in our house.  She no longer waits to ask to use the bathroom or to get out of bed ~ she now takes the initiative to just do it on her own.  She doesn't fuss over clothes changing at all (just wants the door closed).  She continues to sleep great all night by herself in her own room, and when she is awake, she parks herself on one corner of the couch and watches cartoons.  She only moves from that spot for meals or to go to the bathroom.  If the TV is off, she sits quietly studying her hands.  The boys and I have tried to engage her in various play activities and she either shakes her head "no" when asked to join in, or just ignores the request.  Most of the day, I have just left toys laying around in case she takes the initiative on her own.  "Pushing" her doesn't seem to be the answer, but it is hard to watch her sit an entire day doing nothing.  Its also very hard for me to just sit with her.  I am feeling so unproductive, even though I know being near her is "something".  After several months of a hiatus, I have started going for short runs again this week.  Thank goodness for that!
We have taken her out for various errands and she is perfectly fine "tagging along".  Although we mostly want her at home for awhile, it doesn't seem to bother her at all to get in the car.  She had her first Dr's appt today and was very cooperative through it all.  She had to get 3 shots and she started to cry when I told her what was going to happen.  She held very still during them and when I hugged her afterward, she actually leaned into me and seemed comforted by me.  We go to the dentist on Friday and to the Cleft Lip and Palate board next week.  Unless something unexpected shows up on these next physical exams, I have decided to wait until this summer to put her through surgery to close her palate.  She has no problems eating, drinking, or even sucking through a straw and I haven't seen anything come back out through her nose. Her initial exam today showed no health problems.
I underestimated the food issue!  Her diet is really very different from ours.  She prefers rice noodles over anything else and lots of spices that are unfamiliar to me.  Thanks so much Penny for bringing over all those Asian groceries for us to sample!  It doesn't help that I hate to cook and am tired of eating Chinese food!  :)
Today Wu Yi made me totally hold my breath and curse to myself when she got into her precious backpack and pulled out her little phone book.  I had hoped if she didn't see a phone in our house (and I've kind of hidden them) that she wouldn't ask to make any calls.  At this point, I really  don't think its a good idea for her to be in contact with the orphanage.  She gets so emotional, I don't know what is being said on the other end of the line (more lies promising future visits?), and I need her to bond with us  a little more and start to understand that this is permanent.  I am going to hate to tell her "no" on this one (at least for awhile) and  I am missing hearing her talk!!  I pretended not to notice while she carefully scanned the pages of numbers, and fortunately, after a few minutes, she tucked it back away.
All in all, its going better than I thought it would.  What I wouldn't give for a smile (ok, I got one when the Dr did the abdominal exam and it tickled her ~ she immediately covered her mouth and tried to suppress it) or for her to want to play.  I know, I know!  It will happen.  Its just very hard to see this sadness in such a precious child.

2 comments:

  1. It breaks my heart just reading about her, Jolene. I can picture her sitting still and quiet all day; there were a couple of times when Aidan acted that way, but for her to still be doing it shows such a profound trauma. Hopefully she will get bored before long and venture away from the couch.

    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi jolene...i am in spokane and would love to connect with you. my daughter dani is 8 years old, adopted from wuhan china in 2008. she speaks chinese and i currently homeschool her and she loves to meet new friends. if you are ever our way, my phone number is 509-926-8243.
    http://fordani.blogspot.com/
    ps..my daughter's chinese name is wukeyi
    congratulations on your new daughter.
    chris

    ReplyDelete